Find Your Wings
This public art project will see a collaboration between professional local artists and community members to create sets of “wings”–works of art to enhance downtown Middlebury’s beauty and appeal and serve as an economic driver.
Beginning in Fall 2020 and going through Spring 2021, multiple sets of wings will be designed and created, some with community participation, for public installation and viewing. These wings will be a fun, district-wide activity for residents of all ages and abilities, will encourage traffic to downtown businesses while giving the community a sense of ownership by inviting them to create art and culture in their own town, will form unique civic partnerships with new perspectives and celebrate our community connections through art.
What is Find Your Wings?
Find Your Wings (FYW) is an interactive, community-driven art installation with a clear set of goals:
- Support local artists in creating works which will enhance the beauty and appeal to the downtown district
- Produce a fun, district-wide activity for all members of our community both online and in-person
- Encouraging traffic to downtown businesses
- Give the community a sense of ownership by inviting them to partake in the creation of art and culture in town.
When does it happen?
- November 2: Open for submissions
- January 1: Deadline for proposals
- January 15: Selection of artists (estimated)
- May 7: Artwork Due for a community collaboration event
- June 12: Outdoor community collaboration and exhibition
- July 12-16: Artwork installation (estimated)
How can I get involved?
Artists: A call for artists and an application for proposals will be available soon.
Individuals & Families:
- Keep an eye out for activities around the community
- Host your own FYW private event–get the family together to create a set of wings for yourselves
Businesses & Organizations:
- Become an artist sponsor!
- Have your business’s name memorialized on a placard next to the sculpture
- If you’d like to learn more about sponsorship, send an email.
Who’s making this happen?
Learn more about the driving forces at Lacewing Productions, Bundle, and Better Middlebury Partnership.